Cities and Towns
Kershaw County has a range of communities with rich historical backgrounds. The earliest settlers came to the Kershaw District to establish an inland presence for the British in 1730, and the first community of Fredricksburg was established in 1732.
In 1758 Joseph Kershaw came to the area around Pine Tree Creek to establish a branch of a Charleston store and he called his settlement Pine Tree Hill. In 1763, Mayor Joseph Kershaw and the town’s people changed the name to Camden. The name was in honor of Charles Pratt, Lord Camden, who strongly supported colonial rights in the British Parliament.
Bethune is located in the eastern most section of the county and dates to the early 1800’s when settles by Europeans.
Boykin is located in the southern most section of the county at the Sumter County line. The only skirmish of the Civil War in Kershaw County, the Battle of Boykin’s Mill, unfolded around the Boykin Mill Pond on April 18, 1865.
The Town of Elgin is situated in the eastern section of the county at near the Richland County line. It is presently the fastest growing part of Kershaw County.
In the northern part of the county sits Liberty Hill, a community steeped in the history of the state and the county.
Lugoff, an unincorporated area of business and subdivisions on the west side of the Wateree River, is also experiencing rapid growth.
The Town of Westville is another of our small communities on Highway 521 near the Lancaster County line.